Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Coloring Book Quilts

I have not posted in a while because I was busy before, during and after the IQF Houston quilt show. Such a great experience and I meet so many interesting quilters including five international students that were in my Bella Chroma full day class. 

I have a new lecture about how adult coloring books have inspired me to create quilts, portrait quilts especially, in the style of coloring books with a wider black line surrounding the applique motifs. The original quilt I made in this style was given to the IQF Houston silent auction and I can't find the photo. Sorry. I had squared off the tips of the hair and decided that was too much unnecessary work so I redeisgned the pattern and went with the usual pointy hair streaks. 

The photo on the top with the two versions is the revised design. Each quilt is 16" x 24" and has one fabric for the background. I decided to make two color ways-one with orange hair and one with red hair. Each has a fun colorful bold stripe for the garment. The facial features are the same. I wasn't sure if I liked the yellow color on the eyelids so when I was embellishing the quilts one got a gold row of rhinestone "eyeliner" and the other I totally covered up with turquoise nail art sparkly stuff glued on the eyelid.. The other embellishments were some pink glitter nail polish on the upper lip and a clear silver rhinestone for a nose piercing.

I will use this idea for a new pattern which I will write in early 2017. I am including it in my future quilt class proposals and see if the quilt teaching judges like it!!
 
 The coloring book idea began with this quilt's drawing. I connected and added black lines and expanded the background because I really liked the image.
This is another version of this pattern which became my Quilt Alliance charity auction quilt.

Do you like this new idea of the coloring book theme?

2 comments: