Saturday, January 18, 2014

Intro to Portrait Quilts: Long Hair

I made another sample for my Intro to Portrait Class this week since it's winter and that's what I do this time of year!! In my pattern I have 3 hairstyle choices-short spiky, layered bob and long wavy. I only made one long hair version so that's what was my motivation this time. I found the large gold/white/black floral that I forgot I had and pulled colors to coordinate with the floral. I chose white hair and a black background instead of the other way around and then went monochromatic for the shoulder straps, hazel irises and embellishments.

This lady ended up looking like a nymph or siren and I love her-you never really know what it will look like until it is fused to the background!

I embellished with two different gold sparkly nail polishes for the  hair enhancement, a orangey nail polish for the lips, a silk yellow flower, a gold button for the flower center (margarite daisy) and a sheer hologram-like gold leave bead for the hair accessory and gold and black rhinestones in the flower centers in the outside border.

The psychology of color was at work here because the yellows and golds helped me feel warmer during the cold spell in January.

I will be teaching this class in Oshkosh WI March 14-15, 2014 at the FVTC Sewing and Quilting Expo www.fvtc.edu/sewingexpo and at the Little Traverse Bay Quilt Guild, Petoskey, MI May 8 and 9, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment