Sunday, April 7, 2013

Simply Summer

Pine Street Quilts, where I work part-time, got in new charm packs from Moda called "Simple Marks" by Malka Dubrasky. She had a previous line last year and I loved it! The bright cheery colors and the bold geometrics intrigued me and this new line was just as awesome-plus there were polka dots in the collection!! I decided to use AGAIN the "Oh Sew Charming" pattern for the third (and last) time but I also included the beautiful floral instead of just using the charm squares. I found the colorful floral with the white background at the Appleton WI Hobby Lobby and thought it went nicely with these colors in the charm squares. I am also embracing the Modern Quilt Movement and I see a lot of white instead of black with bright colors in the quilts of this movement. I fussy cut four center block pieces as best I could to have the four color "families" represented and also used the floral on the outside corner blocks, the binding and the back. I chose a white with turquiose dot for the background fabric and a variegated thread with turguiose, lime green and a bit of yellow for the quilting. I though it stood alone without any embellishments and it was looking like tropical fruits or fruity Lifesaver wrappers. I call it "Simply Summer" because of the Simple Mark charm pack name and the feeling of summer's bright colors. This is my favorite of the three charm pack patterns because the bright bold colors are my favorites and I love the bold geometric African-like designs plus the great contrast with the white backgorund. It is a happy quilt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment